- Center of the American Experiment Report: Twin Cities Traffic Congestion–It’s No Accident
A report on congestion causes and solutions in the Twin Cities, Minnesota.
- Learning from Close Calls: A Glimpse Into Near-Miss Experiences
A report on near-miss incidents in Houston, self-reported by road users.
- Rulemaking Factsheet: On-Road Mobile Source Emissions Measure
This factsheet summarizes the final rule for the measurement of total emissions reduction of on-road mobile source emissions through the Congestion Mitigation and Air Quality Improvement (CMAQ) Program.
- A Guide to Agency-Wide Knowledge Management for State Departments of Transportation
This guide was developed because KM offers promising solutions to DOT challenges, yet relatively few DOTs have implemented agency-wide approaches to KM.
- Rulemaking Factsheet: Non-Single Occupancy Vehicle Travel Measure
This factsheet summarizes the final rule for the measurement of non-single occupancy vehicle travel in specific urbanized areas.
- Pavement and Bridge Condition: Final Rule Q&A
This Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) document addresses the federal pavement and bridge condition performance management rule 23CFR 490.
- Pavement and Bridge Condition: Final Rule Webinar
This Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) presentation addresses the new federal pavement and bridge condition performance management rule 23CFR 490.
- NHS Travel Time Reliability Measures
This factsheet summarizes the final rule for the measurement of travel time reliability on the Interstate and nonInterstate National Highway System (NHS).
- Rulemaking Factsheet: Freight Reliability Measure
This factsheet summarizes the final rule for the measurement of travel time reliability on the Interstate System (Truck Travel Time Reliability (TTTR) Index).
- Final Rule: National Performance Management Measures; Assessing Performance of the National Highway System, Freight Movement on the Interstate System, and Congestion Mitigation and Air Quality Improvement Program
This final rule is the third and last in a series of three related rulemakings that together establishes a set of performance measures for State departments of transportation (State DOT) and Metropolitan Planning Organizations (MPO) to use as required by the Moving Ahead for Progress in the 21st Century Act (MAP-21) and the Fixing America's Surface Transportation (FAST) Act.
- NCHRP Synthesis 362 – Training Programs, Processes, Policies, and Practices
This synthesis report addresses challenges and related to establishing and strengthening state DOT training, development, and education programs.
- Measuring Performance among State DOTs: Sharing Good Practices — Serious Crash Injury
The objectives of this project were to (a) review and assess states’ current practices for quantifying serious injuries from motor vehicle crashes, (b) describe issues to be addressed in adapting CODES or other available databases to provide a basis for comparative analysis of DOT performance regarding serious crash injuries and safety management, and (c) describe feasible options for addressing these issues and assess their relative merits.
- Measuring Performance among State DOTs: Sharing Good Practices – Establishment of Comparative Performance Measures Program Infrastructure to Support National System Performance Data Collection and Analysis
The objective of this project was to develop a conceptual framework and functional description of a comparative performance database and analysis infrastructure to support benchmarking and management strategy formulation by DOTs and others.
- Measuring Performance among State DOTs: Sharing Good Practices — Construction Project Cost and Schedule
The objectives of this project are to (a) update the comparative analysis of DOT performance regarding construction project cost and schedule, (b) expand that analysis to incorporate more of the nation’s DOTs, and (c) report on successful techniques employed by leading agencies.
- State DOT CEO Leadership Forum – Pilot Study of State-Driven Performance-Based Management Reporting
The objective of this research project was to plan, organize, and hold a DOT CEO Management Forum.
- Issues and Practices in Performance-Based Maintenance and Operations Management
The objective of this research was to hold an executive forum for senior DOT officials to share their views, assess their experiences with performance-based maintenance and operations contracting, and identify strategies for further advancing agency management practices in this area.
- Measuring Performance among State DOTs: Sharing Good Practices
- Using Performance Measures to Manage Change in State Departments of Transportation
- Consequences of Delayed Maintenance of Highway Assets
- Managing Risk Across the Enterprise: A Guidebook for State Departments of Transportation
See the FHWA TPM website for federal requirements.