Trend analysis in performance management can be used to learn lessons from past performances and to predict future performance. It is especially valuable in setting targets for future performance. There is experience in various areas of transportation performance on how trend analyses are conducted and are communicated.
An agency’s ability to communicate performance trends depends upon staff’s ability to interpret, analyze and communicate short- and long-term trend information.
This research is aimed at:
• Enhancing agency understanding of performance trends, especially related to the horizons
• Providing practical guidance to practitioners in establishing trends
• Effectively communicating trends.
The proposed research will:
• Conduct a literature search of trend analysis studies
• Survey states for understanding of current practices
• Develop guidance targeted at helping practitioners conduct trend analyses and communicate the results
• Product a final report
The research will assist transportation agencies in using trend data to predict future events and analyze past events. It will provide comprehensive guidance trend analysis development within performance management.