Continuous Improvement is a management philosophy first employed in Japan that dates back decades. Its use in the private sector is well-established. In recent years, individual state departments of transportation (DOT) have begun process measurement and improvement efforts using a performance management framework. This research effort will provide a state of current practice and provide a foundation for future research.
This research will:
• Determine current practice in the use of Lean, Lean Six Sigma and other continuous improvement methodologies to support ongoing, active performance management within agencies.
• Provide Best Practices to assist agencies in implementing continuous improvement programs aimed at affecting performance.
• Literature review to establish background in use of continuous improvement in transportation agencies
• Survey to assess the current state of practice
• Report with survey results and identify Best Practices.