Task Force on Emerging Performance Areas
The Task Force on Emerging Performance Areas is governed by the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO) Committee on Performance-Based Management (CPBM). The focus of this task force is to provide State DOTs with additional information and tools that support a robust performance management program by identifying emerging performance areas, making recommendations for future research, and creating a platform for knowledge exchange.
The CPBM Task Force on Emerging Performance Areas is an independent, volunteer panel of national experts in performance management and its related fields. The task force works to improve how State DOTs conduct performance management by identifying emerging performing areas, making recommendations for future research, and creating a platform for knowledge exchange. The task force works to shepherd the further development of performance measures that support bigger picture goals and the integration of new or emerging performance measures into agency decision-making.
Emerging performance areas are cross-cutting, and the task force expects to work across CPBM subcommittees and other AASHTO committees as appropriate. Particular performance areas of interest include multimodal accessibility/destination access, equity, resilience, greenhouse gas and other measures of climate change impacts, and health.
- Serve as the forum to advance ideas and examples of how state transportation agencies are implementing new and emerging performance measures.
- Work with the CBPM Professional Development and Technical Services Coordinating Subcommittee to develop and communicate guidance, training, and educational resources to assist with implementing and integrating new measures within a state transportation agency.
- Develop research proposals and problem statements for the development, implementation, and integration of new areas and measures in performance management and decision-making within a state transportation agency.
- Work collaboratively with the AASHTO and TRB communities and FHWA, USDOT, and other federal agencies to advance the practice of integrating new measures in performance management and decision making.
Co-Chair: Deanna Belden, Minnesota DOT
Co-Chair: Kelly Travelbee, Michigan DOT
Secretary: Kelly Travelbee, Michigan DOT
AASHTO Liaison: Vacant
FHWA Liaison: Vacant
Organization & Membership
- Structure — Task Force of the Committees on Performance-Based Management.
- Leadership — Co-Chairs as selected by the CPBM Chair and leadership team; Secretary as selected by the Co-Chairs.
- Membership – Membership of the task force shall be governed by the CPBM charter; individuals are
- State DOTs — Members of the task force can include one or more members from each state representing each parent committee or their designee.
- Federal Agencies — FHWA, FTA, etc. Serve as a liaison for that agency and approved by the task force co-chairs.
- Association — Members from relevant sister organizations to AASHTO to serve as a liaison that are approved by the task force co-chairs.
- Research and Academic — A person(s) from an academic institution or private company that will serve as a knowledge resource given the work of the task force as deemed appropriate by the task force co-chairs.
Active participation is critical for our Task Force to be successful in its mission, which means we need you to be involved! There are several different ways you can participate, including:
- Please participate in our monthly Task Force web conferences. Join in the conversation. Offer your insight and perspectives. Learn from others.
- Attend our summer meetings. They occur each summer or other time of year in conjunction with another AASHTO meeting at a time and place determined by the Task Force leadership.
- Assist with or lead one of the Task Force activities.
To get involved, please get in touch with either of the Task Force co-chairs at the e-mails or phone numbers shown below:
The Task Force on Emerging Performance Areas meets on the first Wednesday of every month, from 2:00 pm to 3:00 pm.
Zoom link for the recurring meeting is: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/
Upcoming Subcommittee Events
Past Subcommittee Events
Your Community’s Resources
Add New Resource
This section is for committee admins to access and edit their pages. If you think you should be an admin, or if you need assistance recovering your password, then please click here to send us an email.