AASHTO Committee on Performance-Based Management
The Committee on Performance-Based Management addresses all aspects of performance management including asset, organizational, risk, and system performance management as it relates to federal regulations, current industry practices, and emerging approaches and concepts.
Chair: Christos Xenophontos, Rhode Island DOT
Vice-Chair: Jean Wallace, Minnesota DOT
AASHTO Liaison: Vacant
FHWA Liaison: Mshadoni Smith-Jackson
Understanding Performance Management
Performance management is the process of accountability and effectiveness that is measured against established goals or targets. Performance management helps guide State Transportation Agencies (STA) in critical decision making from planning through systems operations, including the agency’s own organizational performance.
Mission & Vision
The Committee on Performance-Based Management is dedicated to providing STAs the expertise and resources to support and help enhance performance and data-driven management practices and decision making and to create a results-driven environment that will promote organizational and system excellence. The Committee on Performance Based-Management will provide and communicate technical services and information; develop policy guidance and recommendations; facilitate communication practices; and support the professional development and capacity building of its members and others.
The committee shall be structured in a way to do the following:
- Focus on how organizations make strategic decisions to deliver the transportation program to the public by examining how transportation organizations link these strategies with work systems and key processes and align resources to:
- improve project and program delivery;
- demonstrate progress toward desired performance targets such as safety, system capacity, congestion/freight movement, physical assets and other areas for all modes; and
- deploy management strategies.
- Support STAs in how they improve the state of the practice in the deployment and usage of asset, organizational, risk, and system management tools, data collection, analysis techniques, and methods to assist in implementing management practices.
- Assess the use of measurement and assessment to facilitate communication that increases transparency, accountability and enhances results.
- Support members through the development of comparative information about organizational and systems management practices in established and emerging areas to facilitate shared learning and improve performance.
- Explore national and international trends, successful practices, and research related to performance-based management in order to support the Board of Directors in influencing the development of federal policy, programs, regulations, and guidance.
- Provide information and recommendations of how agencies best organize themselves and current performance management best practices (e.g., ISO, Lean, Six Sigma, etc.).
Upcoming Committee Events
Past Committee Events
AASHTO 2022 Conference on Performance-Based Management, Planning, and Data
Your Community’s Resources
Add New Resource
This section is for committee admins to access and edit their pages. If you think you should be an admin, or if you need assistance recovering your password, then please click here to send us an email.